|Garlicky Green Beans|
Heatproof spatula or wooden spoon
1 teaspoon olive oil
1–2 garlic cloves,
peeled and minced,
or put through a
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh
ginger root (if you
1 pound green
¼ cup cold water
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Put a large skillet on the stove and turn the heat to low.
2. Add the oil. Add the garlic and (if you like) the ginger and cook until they just start to change color (they’ll get a little bit golden), about 30 seconds.
3. Add the beans and stir until they are lightly coated with the oil.
4. Add the water, raise the heat to high, and cook until the pan is almost dry, about 6 minutes.
5. Move the beans to a plate or platter, then taste a bean and add salt if you think it needs it. Serve right away.
• Stir in 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• Add 1 tablespoon chopped toasted almonds or walnuts
• Add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or cilantro
• Add ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (if you want to make it spicy)