|(Interview) Julie Albert and Lisa Gnat serve up a Sticky French Toast with Candy Rice Krispies comfort dish|
Recipe from "Bite Me More"
Candied Rice Krispies
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp water
4 cups Rice Krispies cereal
2 egg breads (challahs), crusts left on and cubed (approximately 14 cups)
1 (8oz/250g) package cream cheese, softened
6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup half-and-half cream
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
3 tbsp corn syrup
1) For the candied Rice Krispies, in a large pot (that is both deep and has a wide bottom), bring the sugar and water to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute without stirring. Gently stir in Rice Krispies and continue to cook over medium heat, just until they are golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately pour Rice Krispies onto a baking sheet to cool. Once cooled they can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
2) For the French toast, coat a 13x9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place cubed bread evenly throughout the dish.
3) Place the cream cheese in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese at medium speed until smooth. Add one egg at a time, mixing well after each addition and making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Whisk in milk, half-and-half, maple syrup and vanilla until incorporated and smooth. Pour over bread cubes to moisten evenly, pressing lightly to submerge the bread. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours.
4) Once ready to bake, remove baking dish from refrigerator and preheat oven to 350°F.
5) For the caramel topping, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until well combined, about 2 minutes. Immediately pour over French toast and cover with candied Rice Krispies. Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until puffed and golden, about 40-45 minutes.