Today Carolyn Hemming, Author of Quinoa Revolution talks about her Quinoa Burger. Made with using red quinoa, grape seed oil, diced onions, cheddar cheese, rolled oats, pecans and more.
The Better Burger - Quinoa Burger
~ From Quinoa Revolution by Carolyn Hemming ~
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- ½ cup (125 mL) red quinoa
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) grape seed oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced onions
- 2 cups (500 mL) finely chopped cremini or white button mushrooms
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced garlic
- ¾ tsp (3 mL) dried marjoram
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) dried oregano
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) shredded reduced-fat aged cheddar cheese
- ½ cup (125 mL) toasted pecans, chopped fine
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) rolled oats, quick cooking (gluten free if required)
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sodium-reduced soy sauce or tamari (gluten-free if required)
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment or lightly grease.
Combine the water and quinoa in a small saucepan. Bring the water to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to a simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from heat. Let sit covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and cool.
Heat the oil in a sauce pan on medium heat. Sautee the onions for about 5 minutes or until the onion is starts to become soft and transparent. Add the mushrooms, garlic, marjoram and oregano, sautéing for another 5 minutes until the mushrooms are tender. Set aside to cool.
Mix together in a medium-sized bowl, the quinoa, mushroom mixture, cheese, toasted pecans, oats, egg, and soy sauce.
Using a ½ cup (125 mL) measure, scoop mixture on to the parchment and form into 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick patties leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) between (should make 8 to 9 patties). Bake for 27 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve. Note: These burgers can also be cooked in an oiled fry pan or on a barbecue baking sheet.
PER SERVING: Energy 150 calories; Protein 7 g; Carbohydrates 13 g; Dietary Fiber 2 g; Fat 9 g; Sugar 2 g, Cholesterol 25 mg; Sodium 130 mg.